BEC商务英语活学活用:文化差异

2015-01-21 10:00:25 字体放大:  

BEC商务英语活学活用:文化差异

Ⅰ.核心学习:Cultural Diversity at Work 工作中的文化差异

Michael: Billy! I think there is an inferno in the company kitchen.

迈克尔:比利!我觉得公司的厨房着火了。

Billy: Really! Why do you think so?

比利:真的吗!你为什么会这么想?

Michael: There is a terrible smell coming from there.

迈克尔:有一股难闻的气味从那儿飘出来。

Billy: Can you describe it for me?

比利:能给我形容一下吗?

Michael: Billy, it is a very strong smell that made my eyes water when I walked past.

迈克尔:比利,那是一种很强烈的气味,从那路过的时候我的眼睛都出眼泪了。

Billy: You are such a dill Michael. Maybe someone is re-heating their lunch.

比利:你真是个傻瓜迈克尔。也许是有人在加热他们的午餐。

Michael: This cannot be someone’s lunch! No one could eat something that smelled that bad.

迈克尔:不可能是某个人的午餐!没有人会吃味道那么糟糕的东西。

Billy: You know that we have people from many different countries working in the office and their cuisine is very different from ours.

比利:你要知道在我们办公室里工作的人来自不同的国家,他们的饮食跟我们是完全不同的。

Michael: But they are in our country now! They should act like we do!

迈克尔:可他们现在在我们的国家!他们做事的方式应该跟我们一样!

Billy: You cannot say that! What you just said is very insulting and ignorant. You need a lesson in Cultural Diversity at work.

比利:你不可以这么说!你刚才说的话很无礼也很无知。你需要了解一下公司中的文化差异。

Ⅱ.单词简析

1) Inferno: a very large fire

很大的火

ex:Whenever we have a barbeque, my father builds an inferno that cooks meat in about two seconds!

每次我们吃烤肉的时候我爸爸都把火烧得很旺,这样肉很快就烤熟了!

2) Dill: idiot, stupid person

傻瓜,愚蠢的人

ex:When I was learning to drive a car, my teacher called me a dill about 50 times each lesson.

我学开车的时候,我的教练每一次课要叫我五十次傻瓜。

3) Cuisine: a French word for food that is now commonly used in English

法语词,指食物,菜肴,现在已广泛应用于英语中

ex:I love living in the city because you have so many different types of cuisine to choose from!

我喜欢住在城市里是因为你有很多不同种类的菜肴可以选择!

4) Ignorant: someone showing a lack of knowledge or intelligence

无知:缺乏知识或智慧的人

ex:Some people say that ignorance is bliss, but I would rather have all of the facts.

有人说无知是福气,可我宁愿知道所有的事实。

相关推荐:

商务英语入门学习邀请参观贸易展览会

商务英语入门学习与过去有贸易往来的公司联系

<--商务英语-->